query: "sweet porbell"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Jul 26 04:32:00 UTC 2007

>I'm forwarding this question with the hope that someone out there
>can offer a suggestion.  (No point in checking google or the OED,
>unless you want to find the same query from the same source at
>"Yahoo! answers", where it wasn't answered, assuming it isn't in
>fact < "poor belle".)
>
>LH
>
>>    Now I complete editing the letters and diary of a Civil War
>> sailor-soldier, b. 1843 in New Haven and later a Yale Divinity School graduate.
>>     On January 23, 1865, he wrote:
>>
>>"I was, however, some what startled to read that the Gen'l was
>>rather of an "angel visitant" and cousin of a "sweet porbell." If
>>my relations must suffer such personalities when I distinguish
>>myself, I might almost desire that day postponed."
>>
>>    The Gen'l was Alfred H. Terry; "angel visitant" is understood.
>> But sweet porbell (or possibly parbell) is not.
>>     I have searched every where, asked  forums and the
>> meaning  still remains unknown.
>>     What is the world is or was a porbell?
>>    If you or colleagues have a clue, please advise.

I can't venture a good guess without seeing the handwritten original.
In the above passage I suspect maybe "rather" should be "father" ...
which suggests the possibility of some peculiar penmanship (and/or
sporadic errors).

If someone would upload a picture of the actual handwritten text I
(and my betters) could have a better shot at it.

-- Doug Wilson