multiplicity

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Jul 26 20:20:53 UTC 2007

Just casually (with the speaker making no attempt at precision) in sentences like "She phoned me multiple times," or "We drank multiple beers last night," or "I've run in multiple races," or "There are multiple reasons why I couldn't get it done." What I was thinking is that the multiple differences, connotatively and denotatively, among the various adjectives expresssing 'many-ness' are leveled into the word "multiple."

--Charlie