Lego vs. Legos: Americanism? Regionalism?

Mon Jul 30 22:18:56 UTC 2007

On Jul 30, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> At least 40 years, Beverly?! Damn! "Unhip" is one thing, "totally
> clueless" is another. I thought that Lego was something new, like
> within the past five years or so. I remember Lincoln Logs, but that's
> about it. IAC, thank you for the description of it. "Live and learn,"
> to coin a phrase.

from the wikipedia page:

In 1949, Lego began producing the now-famous interlocking bricks,
calling them "Automatic Binding Bricks". These bricks were based
largely on the design of Kiddicraft Self-Locking Bricks, which were
released in the UK in 1947. The first Lego bricks, manufactured from
cellulose acetate, were developed in the spirit of traditional wooden
blocks that could be stacked upon one another; however, these plastic
bricks could be "locked" together. They had several round "studs" on
top, and a hollow rectangular bottom. The blocks snapped together,
but not so tightly that they could not be pulled apart.

----

i played with them as a kid, well over 50 years ago.

arnold