Cave Kiss; Cave Bacon; Stalactites hold tight to the ceiling, stalagmites might

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Tue Jul 31 06:32:11 UTC 2007

In 1962, at Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, the guide said, "Remember: When
the mites go up the tights come down." My parents giggled and I didn't know
what he was talking about. My dad splained it later, something about bugs in
your underwear. Result: I use that mnemonic to this day and am hereby
passing it on to anyone else who would like to use it.
DAD

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 3:07 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Cave Kiss; Cave Bacon; Stalactites hold tight to the ceiling,
stalagmites might

I recently took some guests to the Inner Space Caverns in Georgetown,
Texas=
,=20
discovered during the construction of I-35.
The cavern tour guide explained "cave kiss"--a drop of water that falls
fro=
m=20
the ceiling. If it hits you, it's good luck. "Cave kiss" is not in OED or
=20
HDAS?
"Cave bacon" seems standard.
The old "stalactite=3Dhold tight to ceiling" and "stalagmite=3Dmight rise
up=
 =20
from the floor" was implied to have been made up by this tour guide, but
in=20=
fact =20
goes back to at least the 1800s! None of us has researched this saying?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
23:14