Sure don't

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 31 19:20:06 UTC 2007

I asked, "Do you have any maps?"  She said, "We sure don't."

While reading some reports at work I came across this construction a few
times. I'm familiar with using "sure" as an adverb when the answer is in the
affirmative ("Yes, we sure do."), but not otherwise. The writer is probably
an L2 speaker (her L1, if not English, would probably be Spanish). The
supposed speaker of "We sure don't" is in Texas. Anyone know if this is a
regional construction in Texas?

Scot