eggcorn: "profound" (profane) words

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 31 19:31:46 UTC 2007

>Isn't the B word significantly less profound than the C word?

Well, mebbe so as profundity (profunation?) per se goes.  But as a
source of complaint, though, in this sort of context, I'd think the B
word is pretty much always grounds for complaint (barring reclaimed
uses by women or in literal reference among dog breeders, neither
which are at issue here), while the C word in literal uses can be
neutral, at least potentially.  A matter of personal taste, I presume.

LH