eggcorn: "profound" (profane) words

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 31 22:19:39 UTC 2007

Not all that long ago:

  "Date:         Sun, 8 Apr 2007 16:03:43 -0700
Sender:       American Dialect Society Mailing List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Jonathan Lighter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: accusative cursing
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]

"...In the '50s, "ass" (not the equine) was a "curse-word."  As a group, the New Yorkers I knew divided usage between "curse" and "cuss." (The phonemic difference was usually clear, BTW.)  "Profanity" and "profane" were similarly applied.

  A comic recollection.  In junior high I had a copy of Churchill's _The Gathering Storm_.  I mentioned,  to my friend, not altogether innoocently,"There's a chapter called 'The Rape of Czechoslovakia.'"

  "Ever the provocateur, he ran yelling to my grandmother, "Jon is using profound language !"
  Sic.

 " A simpler time.

 " JL"

JL