Teenage speak and beyond

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 2 11:54:21 UTC 2007

I think the affect of TV and other media on dialect is under-rated.  Data
are below.  My hope is that dialect changes more in agreement with spelling
(the alphabetical principle) than less.  But I think the dynamic doesn't
work that way.  Much uv the trend is to replace harder to say vowel (like
"awe") with easier ones to say (like "ah").

If a kid drops a home accent for a media accent that would be a good thing.
They could become eligible for a job in media, whereas with a think accent
maybe not.

Embargoed for release until:
9:30 a.m. ET on Wednesday, March 9, 2005
Media Multi-tasking” Changing the Amount and Nature of Young People’s Media
Use

Bedrooms Have Become Multi-Media Centers

Kids Say Parents Don’t Set or Enforce Rules on Media Use
Washington, D.C. – Children and teens are spending an increasing amount of
time using “new media” like computers, the Internet and video games, without
cutting back on the time they spend with “old” media like TV, print and
music, according to a new study released today by the Kaiser Family
Foundation. Instead, because of the amount of time they spend using more
than one medium at a time (for example, going online while watching TV),
they’re managing to pack increasing amounts of media content into the same
amount of time each day. The study, Generation M: Media in the Lives of 8-18
Year-olds, examined media use among a nationally representative sample of
more than 2,000 3rd through 12th graders who completed detailed
questionnaires, including nearly 700 self-selected participants who also
maintained seven-day media diaries.

The study - which measured recreational (non-school) use of TV and videos,
music, video games, computers, movies, and print – found that the total
amount of media content young people are exposed to each day has increased
by more than an hour over the past five years (from 7:29 to 8:33), with most
of the increase coming from video games (up from 0:26 to 0:49) and computers
(up from 0:27 to 1:02, excluding school-work). However, because the media
use diaries indicate that the amount of time young people spend “media
multi-tasking” has increased from 16% to 26% of media time, the actual
number of hours devoted to media use has remained steady, at just under 6 ½
hours a day (going from 6:19 to 6:21), or 44 ½ hours a week. For example,
one in four (28%) youth say they “often” (10%) or “sometimes” (18%) go
online while watching TV to do something related to the show they are
watching. Anywhere from a quarter to a third of kids say they are using
another media “most of the time” while watching TV (24%), reading (28%),
listening to music (33%) or using a computer (33%).

“Kids are multi-tasking and consuming many different kinds of media all at
once,” said Drew Altman, Ph.D., President and CEO of the Kaiser Family
Foundation. “Multi-tasking is a growing phenomenon in media use and we don’t
know whether it’s good or bad or both.”

Media in the bedroom. Children’s bedrooms have increasingly become
multi-media centers, raising important issues about supervision and exposure
to unlimited content. Two-thirds of all 8-18 year-olds have a TV in their
room (68%), and half (49%) have a video game player there. Increasing
numbers have a VCR or DVD player (up from 36% to 54%), cable or satellite TV
(from 29% to 37%), computer (from 21% to 31%), and Internet access (from 10%
to 20%) in their bedroom. Those with a TV in their room spend almost 1½
hours (1:27) more in a typical day watching TV than those without a set in
their room. Outside of their bedrooms, in many young people’s homes the TV
is a constant companion: nearly two-thirds (63%) say the TV is “usually” on
during meals, and half (51%) say they live in homes where the TV is left on
“most” or “all” of the time, whether anyone is watching it or not.

Parental rules. While prior studies indicate that parents have strong
concerns about children’s exposure to media, about half (53%) of all 8-18
year olds say their families have no rules about TV watching. Forty-six
percent say they do have rules, but just 20% say their rules are enforced
“most” of the time. The study indicates that parents who impose rules and
enforce them do influence the amount of time their children devote to media.
Kids with TV rules that are enforced most of the time report two hours less
(2:01) daily media exposure than those from homes without rules.

“These kids are spending the equivalent of a full-time work week using
media, plus overtime,” said Vicky Rideout, M.A., a Kaiser Family Foundation
Vice President who directed the study. “Anything that takes up that much
space in their lives certainly deserves our full attention.”

The study was released today at a forum that included a keynote speech by
Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton and a roundtable discussion featuring FCC
Commissioner Michael Copps, Hip Hop artist Common, and top executives from
the video game and television industries. The discussion was moderated by
CNN’s Jeff Greenfield and a webcast will be available by 1:00 p.m. ET today
at http://www.kaisernetwork.org/healthcast/kff/09mar05 .

See truespel.com - and the 4  truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at
authorhouse.com.