virus = "any disease-causing organism whatsoever"

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Jun 6 01:44:17 UTC 2007

>You can go for a long time in America without hearing the word
>"bacteria" (much less "bacterium"), except (perhaps) the friendly
>bacteria that clean your septic tank, or the helpful kind that live
>in your gut.  Somewhere in the collective unconscious of Joe and
>Joanne is an awareness that many bacteria cause disease, but if
>you're sick, it's almost gotta be  "some sort of virus" (And pass
>them antibiotics, Doc!).

You mean the market in the US isn't loaded with "antibacterial" this,
that and the other thing, as it is up here?

His dictis, I agree that most people seem entirely unclear on the
distinction between bacteria and viruses, and, more ot the point,
can't really tell you what causes what and which ones are affected by
what kind of treatment or medication.

In Canada, aside from bad colds being called "the flu," just about
any sort of stomach ailment is typically called a "flu" or "stomach
flu" as well, in spite of being entirely unrelated -- this is so in
the US, too, isn't it?

James Harbeck.