Double eggcorn

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 6 15:51:05 UTC 2007

The possum was found nocturminated.

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: Double eggcorn

My four-year-old grandson, having found a dead possum in his yard yesterday, opined, "I think a nocturminal did it." Pretty obviously, one of his parents had tried to explain something about "nocturnal animals," which words he blended. The pun on "terminal" is almost certainly accidental--but, well, just so damn brilliant and adorable . . . .

--Charlie