Beans, etc, PS: The Battle Hymn...

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Jun 8 16:10:01 UTC 2007

Date:         Fri, 8 Jun 2007 08:50:15 -0700
From:         Jonathan Lighter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Beans, etc, PS: The Battle Hymn...

Ah, yes, the TEACHER: that forbidding (if not malovelent) figure looming in the psychological landscape of American children--fair game for those hostilities that attachments to actual parents would make difficult.

    On top of old Smoky, all covered with sand,
    I shot my old teacher with a green rubberband.
    I shot her with pleasure, I shot her with pride.
    I couldn't have missed her; she's forty-feet wide.

--Charlie

As I remember it:

  Mine eyes have seen the glory of the burning of the school.
  We have tortured every teacher; we have broken every rule.
  We'll go down to the office and we'll hang the principal,
  As we go marching on.

  Glory, glory, hallelujah!
  Teacher hit me with a ruler!
  I bopped her on the bean with a rotten tangerine,
  As we go marching on.

  The "tangerine" line was sometimes replaced with, "I met her at the door with a loaded .44." And sometimes both were sung in tandem, with the bean-bopping coming first.

  "School days! school days!  Dear old Golden Rule days!" --_Old song_

  (Sniff.)

  JL