article

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 8 23:28:15 UTC 2007

FWIW, whenever anyone at all, regardless of that person's race, creed,
color, ethnicity, or sexual orientation, has addressed me as "you
nigger," as is the case here and has all too often happened in real
life. , I've always found it insulting and hurtful. And, sometimes,
surprising. Once, in Los Angeles, a five-year-old-ish Chicano boy,
sitting on his front steps, said to me, "Hey, you nigger!", as I
passed by. That was a real kigmy [= "an expression of hostility from
an unexpected source"].

-Wilson

On 6/8/07, Laurence Urdang <urdang at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Laurence Urdang <urdang at SBCGLOBAL.NET>
> Subject:      article
>
> Sorry . . . again!
>   I didn't want to promise, for it is often almost impossible to retrieve an article from a day-old paper, but here is the evidence I was trying to send you yesterday, from the Daily Telegraph.
>   L. Urdang
>
>   This is a provisional transcript of the conversation between Emily, Charley and Nicky that led to Emily's departure from the house.
>                      Emily Parr: Out
>   Emily: (referring to Charley dancing/pushing her hips forward) You pushing it out you n*****.
>   Nicky: (shocked laughter) Em, I can't believe you said that.
>   Charley: You are in trouble.
>   Emily: Don't make a big thing out of it then. I was joking.
>   Charley: I know you were... but that's some serious shit, sorry.
>   Emily: Why?
>   Charley: Oh my God. I'm not even saying it.
>   Nicky: Just don't talk about it anymore.
>   Emily: I was joking
>   Charley: Do you know how many viewers would watch that?
>   Nicky: Okay, don't make a big deal out of it.
>   Charley: Fancy you saying that. I can't believe you said that.
>   Emily: Somebody has already used that word in this house.
>   Charley: No way. (Pause) Yeah, me. I'm a n*****.
>   Nicky laughs.
>   Charley: I am one. Fancy you saying it. I know maybe you see it in a rap song. Maybe you and your friends sit there saying it.
>   Emily: I'm friendly with plenty of black people.
>   Nicky: And you call them niggers?
>   Emily: Yeah and they call me n******. They call me wiggers as well.
>   Nicky: I'm quite shocked.
>   Charley: I'm f****** in shock.
>   Emily: It's not a big deal though is it?
>   Charley: Not for us it ain't. F*** me.

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens