Modern Proverbs appeal

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Sat Jun 9 15:27:53 UTC 2007

James A. Landau wrote:
> "Winston tastes good like a cigarette shoulg"  I don't suppose advertising
> slogans belong here, but this one had an interesting history.  So
> many purists jumped on the use of "like" for "as" that a student
> making the same grammatical error might be told "you have a great
> future in the advertising business".  Eventually the cigarette company
> in question came up with a new slogan "What to you want, good
> grammar or good taste?" and the purists gleefully pointed out that the
> first word should have been "which".

Still an advertising slogan, but in the same general vein: "W\e\ Us
Tareyton smokers would rather fight than switch." (In the original, as I
recall, the "We" was crossed out with a big red "X". The version of the
ad that I recall featured a man with a black eye, who evidently had
taken the slogan to heart.)

Jim Parish