"So big a house"

Joseph Salmons jsalmons at WISC.EDU
Sun Jun 10 12:30:52 UTC 2007

Many thanks  to everybody who replied.  What prompted the query was
the impression that there's no consensus on where this fits in
contemporary American English: it's not just old-fashioned or
informal spoken usage, etc, but all over the map. And it sounds like
this is supported by the comments -- it's easy enough imagine people
figuring it for British, for ex., or even overly formal. It wasn't so
clear to me that it was obsolescent at all, so I'm especially glad to
hear that "the ship of change has reached the other shore" for some
people.

Arnold, yes, your other EDM constructions strike me as very informal:
'it's just too big a box to fit in there',  'she's as smart a kid as
I ever met' are fine in conversation but odd to type out. (Without
context, I might have jumped at seeing your talk/handout title on
this topic.) Still, 'many a linguist' sounds bookish.

I'm a little surprised that DARE only has of-ful forms back to 1914.
Is it really that new?

Thanks again,
Joe