"So big a house"

Joseph Salmons jsalmons at WISC.EDU
Sun Jun 10 16:30:08 UTC 2007

Yes, that's part of what makes this interesting.  For lots of kinds
of linguistic variation, speakers have a relatively clear shared
sense of the parameters of variability whether we use a given form or
not: what's 'formal' vs. 'informal' or 'new' vs. 'old-fashioned' or
'how people around here talk' vs. 'how people in that other region
talk'. This phenomenon doesn't seem to have that.

Joe