Additional as verb

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Jun 12 00:42:14 UTC 2007

The blend probably (imho) consists of: "if you would like additional quotes" + "if you would like to see additional quotes."
And yes, it certainly looks like a typo--in the sense of "an error in writing" (vs. an error in spelling or punctuation).

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Laurence Horn
Sent: Mon 6/11/2007 8:53 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Additional as verb

At 8:44 AM +0100 6/11/07, neil wrote:
>Intro to 'Movie Bank Quotes' [ http://www.moviequotes.com/repository.cgi ]
>reads thus:
>
>MovieQuotes runs by contribution by its talented members. We would like to
>thank all members for submitting quotes to make this site possible. If you
>would like to additional quotes, please visit the Submit Quote [p]age. You
>can also find movie memorabilia when you're done quoting.
>
>--Neil Crawford

I'd guess a mere typo, coalescing the redundant-appearing "add
additional quotes" into "additional quotes".  I could be wrong,
though.  Or to anticipate Jerry, maybe a quasi-blend of "if you would
like to add quotes" and "if you would like additional quotes".
Either way, the writer wouldn't really be using "additional" as a
true god-fearing verb.

LH