Modern Proverbs appeal

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 12 23:13:46 UTC 2007

On 6/11/07, Landau, James <James.Landau at ngc.com> wrote:

> OT:  about the word "threequel" (a takeoff perhaps on "threepeat"?): In
> 1966 I heard the word "prequel" in reference to the Lensman series of
> science fiction novels by E. E. Smith.  There were six books in the
> series.  Smith started out by writing the third in chronological
> sequence, then the fourth, then the fifth, and then the sixth.  Then he
> went back and wrote the first and second.  These two books therefore
> were "prequels".

"Prequel" is absolutely standard among science fiction and fantasy fans.
I've been in discussions about whether it should or should not properly be
restricted to works that were, in real time, written or published after the
works that they precede in the fictional continuity. I believe it applies to
any media.

Heck, I could call my filksong "The Passenger" (http://tinyurl.com/2sj7m4) a
prequel to the Lackeyfish "Ferryman". In fact, I think I will. ... Google (
http://tinyurl.com/37b6vo) tells me that I described it as "my
sequel/backstory to ... Ferryman".

m a m