"Sam Houston made us free; Sam Colt made us equal"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 13 00:25:20 UTC 2007

At 7:23 PM -0400 6/12/07, Charles Doyle wrote:
>A structural parallel occurred to me, which is not highly germane,
>except that I'm going crazy trying to remember its source: namely, a
>country-and-western song that was popular maybe 20 years ago (Google
>yields NOTHING!):
>
>George Jones makes me remember,
>Jack Daniels helps me forget.

I don't remember that one, and even the sites of classic country
music titles ("Drop-kick me, Jesus, through the goalposts of life",
"Flushed from the Bathroom of your Heart","I'd rather have a bottle
in front of me than a frontal lobotomy", et al.) don't include
anything of this kind.

What about the related
"What God does not forgive me for
Jack Daniels helps me forget."