non-religious memorial "service"

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 13 17:01:17 UTC 2007

I'm sure I've seen it before, in announcements and reports. But without
attending the event, or reading or hearing a description in some detail, I
wouldn't have known that it had no religious content.

And, thinking of that, I wouldn't expect an announcement to specify
explicitly that the service was non-religious, so how would I know when a
"service" was nonreligious? The only memorial I can remember where an
announcement might have been explicit in that regard (memory fades at this
distance) was similar to your mother's, for a colleague of mine in the 1980s
who was an active neopagan and virulently opposed to most organized religion
(for herself; she wasn't a [anti-] missionary), including the Roman
Catholicism she had been raised in. The funeral was conducted by a priest,
but he cited her explicit wish at the beginning and he honored it.

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]