Names With Zing

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Jun 13 21:21:21 UTC 2007

Of course, Matthew Arnold lamented "the natural growth amongst us of such hideous names,--Higginbottom, Stiggins, Bugg" and (especially) "Wragg." And Milton cringed at some "rugged names," which "to our mouths grow sleek / That would have made Quintilian stare and gasp"--namely, "Gordon / Colkitto, or Macdonnell, or Galasp."

--Charlie