Another kind of buddy

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 15 01:49:24 UTC 2007

I use "say, man" to get the attention of a casually-dressed
fellow-colored fellow. (In the '50's, there was an R&B record entitled
"Say, Man." It consisted only of a guy repeatedly singing "Say, man!"
over a background of fast-dance music.) Otherwise, I use "excuse me,"
adding "sir" or "ma'am," if the situation is one in which I feel a
draft. I don't think that any black person would address anyone else
as "pal," though, when I was a kid, my mother sometimes referred to my
friends as "your pals." "Buddy" is used in address only to a person
whose nickname is "Buddy," such as "Buddy" Herd or the brothers known
as "Big Buddy & Little Buddy," resp.

-Wilson

On 6/13/07, Dave Hause <dwhause at jobe.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Dave Hause <dwhause at JOBE.NET>
> Subject:      Re: Another kind of buddy
>
> I see vocative 'buddy' as a neutral term of address for a male stranger in
> situations not requiring any term of respect.
> Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net
> Waynesville, MO

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens