"Everything takes longer than it takes" (1996?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 15 17:02:23 UTC 2007

Upon boarding a friend's yacht for the first time, Bertrand Russell supposedly once remarked, "I thought your yacht was bigger than it is."

  His friend replied, "Only an _idiot_ would think something was bigger than it _is_."

  Those guys.

  JL

Doug Harris <cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Doug Harris
Subject: Re: "Everything takes longer than it takes" (1996?)

I presume he said that with, as well as on, a raising inflection.

(I have some interest in music, but it's more symphonic and chamber
oriented than it is song inclined. That's not to say I don't like
some songs, and/or song performances every once in a while. Even,
every once in a great while, a drowned robin. .)
(the other) doug

Years ago, when my son was an early teenager, we were running together out
in the country--on a route that I was familiar with but he wasn't.
Approaching a song incline, I remarked, "That hill looks worse than it is."
A few moments (and many pants) later, he replied, "This hill IS worse than
it is!"

--Charlie

 in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.