Pillow Tax; OT: Lightning never strikes twice

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 16 03:35:47 UTC 2007

PILLOW TAX--242 Google hits
"Pillow tax" (a tax on where people sleep, such as hotels/motels--not a tax
on the purchase of pillows) is not in the OED.
_http://www.nysun.com/article/56620_ (http://www.nysun.com/article/56620)

Tax Win for City at High Court
U.N. Missions 'Must Pay Their Fair  Share'
By _JOSEPH  GOLDSTEIN_ (http://www.nysun.com/authors/Joseph+Goldstein)
Staff Reporter of the Sun
June 15,  2007

The Supreme Court, in a victory for _Mayor Bloomberg_
(http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Michael+Bloomberg)  that could bring New York hundreds
of  millions of dollars, has opened the way for municipalities across the
nation to  hold foreign countries accountable for the tax abuses of their
diplomatic staff  in America.
A 7–2 ruling by the federal high court gives _New York City_
(http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=New+York+City)  the go-ahead to collect a
so-called  pillow tax from the diplomatic missions to the _United Nations_
(http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=United+Nations)  that dot Midtown and
the Upper East  Side. The ruling confers jurisdiction on American courts to
hear the city's  argument that many of those countries should be paying taxes on
their diplomatic  property. The city claims that it has a right to tax nations
using missions to  the United Nations for non-diplomatic purposes — such as
providing living  quarters for low-level staff.
OT: LIGHTNING NEVER STRIKES TWICE
This is a response to Bill Mullins' points. I did not refer to national
lightning deaths because Michael Bloomberg is the mayor of New York City, and  was
talking about New York terrorism. The odds of any New York City resident
being struck by lightning are very low; the odds of any New York City  resident
being struck TWICE by lightning, well, unless that person works on  top of the
Empire State Building, it's about zero.
People died on 9-11. Certainly, a lot more people died on 9-11 than have been
 hit twice by lightning in New York City. It is irresponsible for NYC's mayor
to  say that the terrorism risk is zero. I know what Bloomberg was trying to
say--get on with your life, worry about greater risks--but his "lightning"
analogy was a poor one.
Actually, I think the odds of a major terrorist attack on New York City in
the next thirty years are quite high. Partly because of that (plus a lot of
other reasons), I left New York City.