Gotrocks

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 16 20:39:38 UTC 2007

Gotrox/Gotrocks shows up in every humor publication of the 1890s-1900s,  such
as Puck, Life, Judge, Vanity Fair, Up-to-Date, the New York Herald, and the
New York Journal.
However, the earliest citations appear to come from the Indianapolis
Journal, from about 1890.
Of course, I have no access to the American Periodical Series Online here  in
Texas--that would require some favor of the Gods. Life, Puck, and Judge are
digitized there.
(GOOGLE NEWS ARCHIVES)
_LOCAL NEWS._
(http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FA0D11FC3F58137A93C4A8178AD95F418684F9)
$4.95 - New York Times - Nov 16,  1865     Joxrr B. Gotrox lectured last at
Cooper  Institute on temperance, Lefore a crowded house. Miss Ronncaort
lectured  on temperance at Clinton Hall. ...
30 March 1890, Omaha Sunday World-Herald, pg.  9:
Puck: Young Mrs. Gotrox...
27 December 1890, Knoxville (TN) Journal, pg. 6:
I've made myself solid with Miss Gotrox.
(...)
--Indianapolis Journal.
(GOOGLE NEWS ARCHIVES)
_Hornellsville Weekly Tribune (Newspaper) - March 6, 1891,  Hornellsvill..._
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/newspapers1/na0020/2418567/13679333.html)
Subscription -  Hornellsville Weekly Tribune - NewspaperArchive - Mar  6,
1891     Remember, brother Gotrox. there are no  pockets in shrouds." Old k'Oi
there arc not. a inau's shroud itt fur-  nished by hit> heira." Indi.inapolis
Journal. ...
28 March 1891, San Francisco Evening Bulletin, suppl. pg. 1:
>From the Indianapolis Journal.
(...)
The wealthy banker, Peter E. Gotrox,...
(GOOGLE NEWS ARCHIVES)
_Both Ashamed._
(http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingtonpost_historical/access/200041742.html?dids=200041742:200041742&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=JUL+12,+1891&
author=&pub=The+Washington+Post&desc=Both+Ashamed.&pqatl=google)
Pay-Per-View - Washington Post - ProQuest Archiver - Jul 12, 1891     Old
Gotrox--Look here, to come right down  to the solid truth, aren't you just a
little Ashamed of your Old daddy?  Honest now.

11 March 1892, Santa Fe Daily New Mexican, pg. 3:
Brother Gotrox,...
(...)
--Indianapolis Journal.
15 May 1892, Philadelphia Inquirer, pg. 15:
Mrs. Gotrox--...
--Indianapolis Journal.
11 November 1892, Knoxville (TN) Journal, pg. 6:
Mr. Gotrox...
--C. N. Hood in Harper's Bazar.
8 December 1892, Daily Inter Ocean (Chicago, IL), pg. 4:
...Miss Gotrox...
--New York Herald.
17 January 1893, Idaho Daily Statesman, pg. 3:
...but that Mr. Gotrox has more sugar.--Life.
18 May 1895, Santa Fe( NM) Daily New Mexican, pg. 3:
Mme. Gotrocks: Tell me, how did he propose to you? Mrs. Muchcash: Why, he
asked me to get a divorce from my present husband, of course.
(GOOGLE BOOKS)
_The Captives of Plautus - Page 35_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=kBHD54tiV3oC&pg=RA1-PA35&dq=gotrocks+date:1800-1900&num=100&ie=ISO-8859-1)
by Titus Maccius Plautus - 1896  - 111 pages
He's one of the Gotrocks,—a family which is  exceedingly influential and held
in
the highest esteem there. HE. What about  the man himself ? ...
17 May 1896, Philadelphia Inquirer, Sunday magazine, pg. 32:
_A Tough Job._
Mr. Gotrocks--"I don't think you really need any more money. When I was  your
age I lived on five dollars a week."
Algernon Gotrocks--"Exactly, dad; but you never had to live down your old
man's reputation, as I must."--Puck
3 October 1896, Biloxi (MS) Herald, pg. 3:
Chawley Gotrocks--"My dearest Margaret, I love you tenderly, devotedly.  Your
smiles would shed--"
Margaret--"Never mind the woodshed. How about a residence biult for  two?"
--Washington Times.
30 October 1896, Philadelphia Inquirer, pg. 11:
"Oh," he replied, carelessly, "that is Belle Gotrocks. Pretty, isn't  she?"
(...)
--Chicago Times-Herald.
13 November 1896, Dallas Morning News, pg. 2:
"Arabella," said old Mr. Gotrocks, "that foreign count of yours is an
impostor."
(...)
--Buffalo Express.
7 July 1897, Idaho Daily Statesman, pg. 2:
Lawyer--So you didn't rob Gotrock's cottage?
Jim the Cracksman--Nit. My stand-in in de perfesh don't allow me to crack  no
crib under four stories high. Dat lets me out.--New York Sunday  Journal.
4 October 1897, Wilkes-Barre (PA) Times, pg. 7:
_Abandoned._
Tom--What did that count mean by saying that he abandoned the intention of
marrying Miss Gotrocks on account of her figure?
DIck--He discovered it is less than five thousand  dollars.---Up-to-Date.
16 September 1898, Aberdeen (SD) Daily News, pg. 4:
_Warding Off Jealous._
Old Gotrocks (savagely)--What's that! You mean to tell me that you really
love my daughter for herself alone?
Young Hardup (tremulously) Y-yes, sir, but I think I could learn to l-love
you, t-too, sir, in t-t-time, sir.--Vanity Fair.
_http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:365088/display.html?n=0&scope=full
text&pageNum=1&currentSort=Date&mode=list_
(http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:365088/display.html?n=0&scope=fulltext&pageNum=1&currentSort=Date&mod
e=list)
8 November 1900, Salt Lake City (UT) Herald, pg. 4, col. 2:
_It Scared Her._
(Philadelphia Press.)
Tess--I thought she was going to marry old Gotrox.
Jess--She was, but she broke the engagement.
Tess--What for?
Jess--When she accepted him he told her she had put new life in him.
_http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:468057/display.html?n=0&scope=full
text&pageNum=1&currentSort=Date&mode=list_
(http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:468057/display.html?n=0&scope=fulltext&pageNum=1&currentSort=Date&mod
e=list)
30 November 1900, Bourbon News (Paris, KY), pg. 6, col. 4:
"What did Miss Gotrock's father do when you called last night?" "He rushed
me to the front yard line and kicked a goal from the field."--N. Y.  Journal.
_http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:581741/display.html?n=1&scope=full
text&pageNum=1&currentSort=Date&mode=list_
(http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:581741/display.html?n=1&scope=fulltext&pageNum=1&currentSort=Date&mod
e=list)
1 December 1900, Suburban Citizen (Washington, DC), pg. 7?, col. 3:
_His Conjecture._
Servant--"There's a man at the door says he is hungry and has no  home."
Mr. Gotrox--"Ask him which of my daughters it is that he wants. It must be
another one of those foreign noblemen."--Judge.
_http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:769652/display.html?n=2&scope=full
text&pageNum=1&currentSort=Date&mode=list_
(http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:769652/display.html?n=2&scope=fulltext&pageNum=1&currentSort=Date&mod
e=list)
13 February 1901, San Francisco Call, pg. 6?, col. 5:
Blobbs--How does old Gotrox get along with Lord Slimpurse since his  Lordship
married the old man's daughter?
Slobbs--Very well, indeed. You know the Lord Loveth a cheerful
giver.--Philadelphia Record.
_http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:582179/display.html?n=3&scope=full
text&pageNum=1&currentSort=Date&mode=list_
(http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:582179/display.html?n=3&scope=fulltext&pageNum=1&currentSort=Date&mod
e=list)
16 March 1901, Suburban Citizen (Washington, DC) pg. 6?, col. 5:
_Pleased to Release Him._
Harduppe--"can you spare me about ten minutes of your time?"
Gotrox--"Don' you know that time is money?"
Harduppe--"THen let me have $10, and you may keep the ten
minutes."--Philadelphia Record.