"moose milk": antedatings and postdating

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jun 16 21:10:10 UTC 2007

Some of these seem to refer to actual moose milk, often believed to be extra nutritious.  In fact, it's virtually undrinkable by humans.

  JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Re: "moose milk": antedatings and postdating

Most "moose milk" hits are 1926-1927, from the Mutt & Jeff comic.
(GOOGLE NEWS ARCHIVES)

_The Davenport Tribune (Newspaper) - August 31, 1893, Davenport, Iowa_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/newspapers1/na0027/3230601/16691882.html)
Subscription - Davenport Tribune - NewspaperArchive - Aug 31, 1893 for I
Of four saw The The without them I should know no more J then sent out a wail
fTTT 4.1 N for a diet Of moose milk. Of The outsme V. ...

_The Sandusky Star Journal (Newspaper) - October 31, 1911, Sandusky,..._
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/newspapers1/na0018/2121511/12472543.html)
Subscription - Sandusky Star Journal - NewspaperArchive - Oct 31, 1911
after The degree a lunch of Moose milk and The trimmings. i Be a good there's
no AO-.v don'T Be a crab and others abuse. Throw down j and boost like The
... _The Lima News (Newspaper) - September 8, 1912, Lima, Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/newspapers1/na0028/5453837/20173104.html)
Subscription - Lima News - NewspaperArchive - Sep 8, 1912 ... Bull
Mooser, yet It was W e. Rudy who seconded The nomination of Jennings, Blood
thicker than water But to we Rudy It is not thicker than Moose milk. ...
(POST TO ADS-L ON JANUARY 1, 2004)
MOOSE MILK

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Soda Springs Sun - 6/5/1941
...There, at any rate, they plainly drank more MOOSE-MILK than was good for
them. I could..
Soda Springs, Idaho Thursday, June 05, 1941 819 k

Soda Springs Sun - 4/3/1941
...2are JkJXtet Son in them the post. days. MOOSE-MILK after tha mushed on f
his nex They.....a andasked if I'd swing in with her on a MOOSE hunt across
the Inlet. But instead of a.....fabrics if itains are first soaked in MILK.
beat egg whites quickly add a pinch.....MOOSE hunt we went on a baby hunt.
For
Katie..
Soda Springs, Idaho Thursday, April 03, 1941 707 k

Morning News Review - 4/2/1927
...Must Have Had A Couple Of Shots Of Wild MOOSE MILK. BY BUD FISHER SOFT, t
GRSAT..
Florence, South Carolina Saturday, April 02, 1927 585 k

Morning News Review - 1/4/1927
...Confiscates Some left-Over New Year's Wild MOOSE MILK GOT A JOB 6M Sew. A
PGVtwue He'S.....iuuill or too UirMe. pi -7 WANTED Rcj-ulnr MILK cu.toinors
for pui't1 sweet MILK. Early.....us leave you a qliart or niruT of our pure
MILK
. Karly morning aud late afternoon..
Florence, South Carolina Tuesday, January 04, 1927 628 k

Coshocton Tribune - 4/25/1927
...Bring Results GUS IS INTENSELY FOND OF WILD MOOSE MILK AND RADIOS
Par-k'ius snws S.T.OIl..
Coshocton, Ohio Monday, April 25, 1927 675 k

Zanesville Signal - 1/10/1929
...January 10, 1929 MUTT AND What Wild MOOSE MILK Does to a Guy By Bud Fisher
r ooWT..
Zanesville, Ohio Thursday, January 10, 1929 896 k

Morning News Review - 10/13/1926
...Phone .'12 Residence Phone MUTT AND Wild MOOSE MILK Is a Powerful Gargle,
SER THE..
Florence, South Carolina Wednesday, October 13, 1926 581 k
13 October 1926, MORNING NEWS REVIEW (Florence, South Carolina), pg. 7,
cols. 1-8:
_MUTT AND JEFF--__
_Wild Moose Milk Is a Powerful Gargle._
_--BUD FISHER_
(Panel One. Both men are at a bar and hold drinks in their hands--ed.)
MUTT: JEFF, I DON'T BELIEVE IN DRINKING BUT THE DOCTOR TOLD US AN
OCCASIONAL SHOT OF ALE IS WHAT WE NEED! LUCKY I KNOW THIS SPEAKEASY OWNER!
JEFF: WELL, LET'S GARGLE!

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.