"boy friend/ boyfriend" [WAS a new kind of "guy"]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 18 04:13:56 UTC 2007

At 11:02 PM -0400 6/17/07, Mark Mandel wrote:
>Whoops, my error. I mistook the aside as part of the quotation, not your
>comment on it. Color my face red.
>
>m a m

Ironically (if I can get away with using that adverb here), Patroclus
*is* generally recognized as having been Achilles's boyfriend, in the
value-added sense; it's hard to read either the Iliad or
Shakespeare's T&C any other way.  Not that the Lambs would have so
recognized him, at least in print.

LH