For words ending in "-ity" is it ~t or ~d

Mon Jun 18 05:41:11 UTC 2007

I take your point--I just tried making one.  I hear fricative noise
all through it, but it does sound like there are momentary points of
contact.  I also guess you can make a uvular tap of sorts--I've tried
shortening an [R] and it seems possible--now, that you might get in
languages, but unless some exotic North Caucasian language has a tap/
trill contrast there, certainly not a separate phoneme.  Maybe one of
my Northumbrian informants for my Ph. D. had one, along with trills,
fricatives, and rounded and unrounded approximants, come to think of
it....

Paul Johnston