"boy friend/ boyfriend" [WAS a new kind of "guy"]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 18 14:42:43 UTC 2007

At 9:54 PM -0700 6/17/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Off topic, but useless information should be shared:
>
>   Later Greek tradition tended to the view that Pat and Ack were
>lovers, and Shakespeare's _Troilus & Cressida_ is in line with that.
>There is, however, nothing whatever in the Iliad to indicate that
>they were anything other than cousins and foster brothers, having
>grown up, as Homer tells us, in the court of Peleus in Phthia. There
>is even a reference to both characters in bed with female concubines.

Right; in fact the relationship between Ack and his concubine--in
particular, his sulking because Aggie filched her for his own
purposes--is what got him into the sulk that set the rest of the
machinery into motion.  As I understand it, though, that wouldn't
have precluded a deeper love between him and Pat, and I remember
being convinced by my "Concept of the Tragic Spirit" when I was an
undergraduate a couple of hundred years ago that that was the only
way to read the Iliad, although I can't remember the details.  I do
have to acknowledge, however, that Wolfgang Petersen's definitive
rendering in "Troy" (not to mention Brad Pitt's moving
portrayal--"Brad Pitt *is* Achilles", as one poster observes) tends
to support the platonic reading.

LH