Reuben Sandwich (1953)

Tue Jun 19 18:09:29 UTC 2007

On Jun 19, 2007, at 4:46 AM, Laurence Urdang wrote:

> ...  Reuben sandwiches were served in the 1940s in New York City at
> Reuben's Restaurant, 58th Street between Fifth and Madison
> Avenues.  For all I know, they were invented in Siberia in the 16th
> century, but they certainly date earlier than the 1950s.

we probably all already know this, but there are three (or four)
relevant datings here:

when (and where) the particular combination of ingredients was put
together;

when (and from whom) the sandwich got the name Reuben;

when (and from where) the sandwich "took off" and diffused.

(for the third, it's possible that the diffusion of the sandwich and
the diffusion of the name didn't coincide.)

arnold