"Don't call us, we'll call you" (1949)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 22 10:58:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> 27 January 1949, Brownsville (TX) Herald, pg. 12, col. 2:

Grant Barrett sent me a 1948 hit in March:

1948 _Lima News_ 3 Mar. 11/6  Meanwhile we have stepped up our Voice of
America broadcasts to Czecho-Slovakia but it doesn't look as tho radio
will ever replace the old fashioned fifth column.  The Czechs now get a
solid hour of the American viewpoint ... that leaves 23 for Moscow
monologs.  They have been promised time of their own when something opens
up.  The way Stalin left it was "don't call us ... we'll call you."

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986