Bouey knife (Bowie knife) (Jan. 25, 1836)

Fri Jun 22 19:06:41 UTC 2007

On 6/22/07, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:

> On 6/22/07, Bapopik at aol.com <Bapopik at aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > 25 January 1836, Nashville Banner and Nashville Whig, pg. 4,col.  4 ad:
> > 40 dozen Rodger's Superior Pen and Pocket Knives,
> > Dirk, Deer and Sportmen's Knives;
> > Arkansas and Bouey Knives;
>
> Nice find. Searching on "Bouey" in the America's Historical Newspapers
> database, I see that the same Nashville paper ran that ad on two
> earlier dates: Jan. 13 (p. 3) and Jan. 18 (p. 4).

Better yet, from the 19th C US Newspapers database (using the more
typical spelling):

----
1830 _Daily National Intelligencer_ (Washington D.C.) 24 Dec. 2/6
(advt.) Bowie Knives, of superior quality and finish, at $5 each.
[ad appears in subsequent editions through Jan. 1831]
----
1835 _The Mississippian_ (Jackson, Miss.) 11 Sep. 3/3 He then took out
his large Bowie knife and commenced the attack and cut my shin and
clothes all to pieces without giving me a mortal wound.
----
1835 _The Mississippian_ (Jackson, Miss.) 30 Oct. 1/4 We see it stated
in the "People's Advocate," that Governor Runnels' friends and
relations, are generally loaded down with pistols and Bowie knives.
----

--Ben Zimmer