Maslow's grea t quotation

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 23 19:16:34 UTC 2007

"Maslo" is the Russian word for butter and also for
non-petroleum-based oils. FWIW, Polish is West Slavic and Russian is
East Slavic. I'd like to be able to claim that Russian "maslov" and
"maslovskii" are based on "maslo" - this would be strong evidence that
the same is true of Polish - but I can't. The best that I can claim,
absent Vasmer or another etymological dictionary, is that it's
probably not impossible.

And yes, I realize that this adds nothing to the discussion.

-Wilson

On 6/23/07, Dennis Preston <preston at msu.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Dennis Preston <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Maslow's grea              t quotation
>
> There is no evidence that the Polish word for butter and the root of
> the name Maslow(ski) are etymologically connected. Please see my
> earlier message; you are mostly OK here, but remember that final
> Polish "w" is devoiced, and the name would end in (something like)
> "off."
>
> dInIs
>

> >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >-----------------------
> >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >Poster:       Laurence Urdang <urdang at SBCGLOBAL.NET>
> >Subject:      Re: Maslow's grea              t quotation
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >Yes, maslo is Polish for 'butter.'  It is pronounced something like
> >"mass woe": the "l" is so-called "dark," hence pronounced like an
> >English "w"; there is no "w" at the end, for that would make it
> >"mass love," "w" being pronounced (as in most Slavic and some
> >Germanic languages) as "v."  The second vowel is more like "aw" than
> >the "o" in "woe."
> >   Of course God only knows what happens when the spelling reaches
> >American hands.
> >   Larry
> >
> >RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
> >   ---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >-----------------------
> >Sender: American Dialect Society
> >Poster: RonButters at AOL.COM
> >Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:=20=A0=20=A0=20=A0=20[ADS-L]=20Maslow's=20grea?
> >= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?t=20quotation?=
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >Is "Maslow" the Polish word for 'butter'?
> >
> >In a message dated 5/24/07 1:38:30 PM, goranson at DUKE.EDU writes:
> >

> >>  >> According to the staggeringly informative Yale Book of Quotations, the
> >>  >> quotation is the following:
> >>  >>
> >>  >> It is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat=20
> >>  everything
> >>  >> as if it were a nail.
> >>  >>=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Abraham Maslow, The Psychology of Science: A Reconnaissa=
> >nce ch. 2
> >>  >> (1966)
> >>  >>
> >>  >> Fred Shapiro
> >>=20
> >>  Small comments. FWIW, I looked for earlier citations, but found none. The
> >>  sentence (p.15-16) begins "I imagine it is tempting...." I found no=20
> >>  indication
> >>  in the book (acknowledgements, notes, etc.) that he is consciously quoting
> >>  someone earlier. Elsewhere he uses quotation marks relatively frequently.=20
> >>  The
> >>  text above this mentions an automatic car washing machine that is quite
> >>  good at
> [...]

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens