growler

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Jun 24 22:17:41 UTC 2007

>     About 10 years ago I compiled information on "the growler" in
> an article that appeared in one of the volumes of Studies in Slang,
> which I edit (seven have appeared thusfar). I'm presently away from
> my research materials and therefore don't have the exact reference.
>
>      The material presented in the article was furnished to me
> primarily by Barry Popik, humorously referrred to below as "an
> obscure researcher" (actually one of the most extraordinary of all
> word researchers).  IIRC besides "rush the growler" (send a child
> to fetch beer in a pail) there was a parallel "chase the duck," and
> I theorized that in "rush the growler" we deal with the imagery of
> a dog (growler) being sent to fetch a shot-down duck (beer).
>
>     Also, IIRC, someone in ads-l questioned this interpretation ....

I did!

I find this explanation unlikely a priori, although I don't have a
fully convincing explanation of my own to offer. I gave my reasoning
(along with at least one unsupported alternative hypothesis) on this
list in 2003. Of course, FWLIW, I would amend my opinion instantly
based on any solid evidence that might appear.

IIRC, Daniel Cassidy offered an alternative hypothesis ... a loan
from some other language ... I can't recall which language right now.

-- Doug Wilson