George S. Kaufman's "Murphy's Law" (1957)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 27 03:36:52 UTC 2007

The previously reported August 4, 1957 NY Times "Murphy's Law" citation
(below) from the theater's Howard Lindsay was always interesting.
NewspaperArchive has been adding the Troy (NY) Record, and here, Howard Lindsay  credits
playwright George S. Kaufman for "Murphy's Law."
2 August 1957, Troy (NY) Record), TV Keynotes by Steven H. Scheuer, pg. 26,
col. 6:
"And we think things are bad in the theater," added Mr. L. (Howard
Lindsay--ed.) "TV virtually defies George Kaufman's 'Murphy's Law.' We all  believe in
it. It says simply that, 'Everything that can go wrong--will.'"
4 August 1957, New York Times, Arts & Leisure section, pg.  X11:
...(Howard--ed.) Lindsay's Law on the subject; the only stage theorem he
respects is Murphy's Law--"In the theatre anything can go wrong; it always  does."