Whole Nine Yards update(1964)? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Jun 27 14:22:49 UTC 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> > =20
> > _Technical Review - The Society of Experimental Test Pilots
> > - Page 246_=20 (http://books.google.com/bo
> > oks?id=3D-zgOAAAAMAAJ&q=3D"whole+nine+yards"+date:1900-1970&dq
> =3D"whole+nine=
> > +yards"+date:1900-1970&num=3D100&ie=3DISO-8859-1)=20
> > by  Society of Experimental Test Pilots - 1957 These
> results are  all
> > going into a common report when the whole nine yards=20 gets=20
> > wrapped  up and, in fact, there will be no separate spin
> evaluation of
> > the =20 ...
>

> The document includes a Mission Report on Apollo 15, so it
> must be after Aug 1971.

The technical library where I work had the issues of this journal from
1964 (their earliest holding) onward, plus the proceedings of their
conferences.  I was able to skim 1964 - 1967 yesterday, and didn't see
"whole nine yards" or "full nine yards" (but this doesn't rule it out
completely -- I went through several hundred pages in 2 hours).   I was
really hoping to find a new cite -- some of the "papers" in the
conference proceedings and journals were actually transcripts of panel
discussions, or of fairly informal presentations, including test pilots,
fighter pilots from the early days of Viet Nam, etc.  "Normal" papers
and presentations were fairly standard English, but the transcripts were
much less so, and a little slang showed up in them.