To Suicide and Marriage v. CU

Kohl, Matthew matthew.kohl at OUP.COM
Thu Mar 1 16:33:31 UTC 2007

Sean Connery's character in "The Rock" (1996) uses suicide, v.  He
says, "The moment they had the microfilm, they'd suicide me."

MK

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Benjamin Barrett
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2007 3:18 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] To Suicide and Marriage v. CU

I don't think I've ever heard "suicide" as a verb outside of
Asian-Americans in Seattle, until today. Vincent D'Onofrio says "he
suicides" in the episode "Badge" of _Law & Order: CI_, Season 1
Episode
E2124.

Also, an item that seems to be diverging between UK and US usage is
"marry". Although the term seems to be generally reserved in the US
for
people getting married, the UK press seems to have a strong tendency
use it for people entering civil unions and other agreements similar
marriage.

Benjamin Barrett