ancestor = "descendant"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 2 18:50:42 UTC 2007

>I doubt that _Casablanca_ has much to do with it. The line is
>ironic, but it does not mean "mildly or pleasantly surprised."

True enough.

>   Furthermore, many of the people using the word in that way
>wouldn't be caught dead watching a black and white movie.

Also true, but there are periodic invocations of this line that,
while lost to anyone who hasn't seen the movie, will reinforce the
non-literal (although, as you note, not exactly meiotic) use of
"shocked" to convey something less than actually shocked.  But it's
probably just garden-variety weakening/bleaching.

LH