"hard landing"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Mar 2 18:58:00 UTC 2007

I doubt if any pre- or post-corrections are warrented, Jonathan!  (Let me note here that the public schools of Georgia have both "pre-planning" and "post-planning" sessions for the faculty--to prepare for the future and also prepare for the past!?)

I think what impressed me about the military use of the phrase "hard landing" is that, as far as I am aware, no "hard landings" were widely reported from previous wars/conflicts. And nowadays all the reported "hard landings," it seems, eventually turn out to have been shoot-downs. That's why the current use struck me as euphemistic--a way to imply the absence of an effective hostile agency. (Yes, shot-down helicopters, especially if they have been hit by small-arms fire, are probably better than airplanes at "crash landing" without being completely destroyed.)

--Charlie