"black," adj. = non-African American

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 5 00:24:57 UTC 2007

At 4:03 PM -0800 3/4/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Indeed "non-African African American" is closer to what I meant.
>
>   If you see what I mean.
>
>   JL

Indeed I do.  It makes for a nice balance with that old
(semi-apocryphal, it seems) tale of a global search-and-replace
leading to some institution announcing that they were now back in the
African-American. In the case below, African-American is really
what's intended, although you'd think if anyone is African-American,
it's someone like Obama.  I guess we need a good adjective that
denotes (while not quite saying) "slave-descended".

LH