Like a mackerel

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 5 21:32:19 UTC 2007

At 1:09 PM -0800 3/5/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Is no one else familar with the old cliche' "dead as a mackerel"?
>
>   JL

True enough, and it seems as though other popular
similes include "cold as a mackerel" and "dry as
a mackerel", while "limber as a mackerel" goes
unattested. So all in all it sounds as though the
Pussycat dancer's athleticism around the pole may
have misled Kubicek's interlocutor as to her
relevant "goodness".

LH