Like a mackerel

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Mar 6 13:25:16 UTC 2007

Shall we conclude, then, that the word "fucking" in the phrase "like a fucking mackerel" is not just an intensifier but an actual participle--"like a mackerel fucking"?

A favorite simile of the adolescent folkgroups to which I belonged was "fuck like a snake."  The image always intrigued me.  If a female snake should desire to fuck like a mackerel, just what does she invitingly spread?

Of course, snakiness and fishiness can have their own gender-specific symbolism.

--Charlie