"blue-gum"

Thu Mar 8 03:55:57 UTC 2007

> Subject:      Re: "blue-gum"
>

>   With luck, I'll never think of this again. The date to beat, from last time, is 1891.

Kansas City [MO] Star, page [1], vol. 13, iss. 247 Col 5.
Publication Date:   July 2, 1887

"The negroes and some whites declared that the negro had blue gums, and that only those with blue gums have poisonous bites.  The belief is generally held, and the colored people have, it seems, an aphorism:  "Don't fight with a blue gummed coon." "