the n word: on its way out?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 8 16:30:30 UTC 2007

Burns actually wrote "niger."

  OED has some catching up to do.

  JL

"Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Joel S. Berson"
Subject: Re: the n word: on its way out?

At 3/8/2007 10:21 AM, Jon L. wrote:
>HDAS addresses and explicates all such questions. So I don't have to.

OED2 addresses some of the same questions, but since I can cut and
paste I will address them.

"Niger", "Neger", and "Negro" all arose (at least according to the
citations of OED2) at about the same time, the late 1500s -- close
enough (1555 to 1587) that I would guess one could not call any an
antecedent of the others.

OED2's earliest citation for "nigger" is 1786 Burns Ordination iv,
How graceless Ham leugh at his Dad, Which made Canaan a nigger.

> Except the one about "nigra." I haven't checked GWTW,

The Gutenberg on-line text (caution: one may be committing a
copyright violation in the U.S.!) of GWTW uses "nigger" (as well as
"negro"), but not "nigra[h]", nor "Niger" or "Neger". Of course the
edition Gutenberg transcribed may have been expurgated. Jim Landau,
are you sure GWTW uses "nigra"?

>but I did just watch the 1930 biopic _Abraham Lincoln_, with Walter
>Huston as Abe. (Screenplay by Stephen Vincent Benet.)
>
> John Wilkes Booth (Ian Keith) complains pretty clearly that
> Lincoln "freed the Nigras."
>
> This is/ was a perfectly ordinary Southern pronunciation of "Negro,"

OED2 under "nigra" (not the earliest citation, however): 1960
Wentworth & Flexner Dict. Amer. Slang 354/2 Niggra = nigger. A
pronunciation used by Southerners of Southern breeding and ancestry.
Conjuring up the period of Negro slavery, the pronunciation is even
more derog. than 'nigger'.

Never miss an email again!