"Patience, perseverance and sweet oil" (1854)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 8 22:50:21 UTC 2007

"Patience, perseverance and sweet oil" is not in the Yale Book of
Quotations. Who said it? Is the second line ("agreeable to Hoyle") an early  "according
to Hoyle"?
(OED)
Hoyle
The name of Edmond Hoyle (1672-1769), author of several works on  card-games
(the earliest, on whist, dated 1742): often cited typically for an  authority
on card-playing. Phr. according to Hoyle, according to the highest  authority,
in accordance with strict rules.
1906  _‘O. HENRY’_ (http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-h2.html#o-henry)
  Four Million (1916)  14 The financial loss of a dollar sixty-five, all so
far  fulfilled according to Hoyle. 1945  A. A. OSTROW  Compl. Card Player p.
vii, It  has been the custom to call books of rules on card and board games ‘
Hoyles’, so  that ‘according to  Hoyle’ has come to mean ‘according to accepted
rules’. 1962  R. BARKER  Clue for Murder v. 38 This one  [sc. murder]'s right
out of the . mustrictly according to Hoyle. 1965  _J. M.  CAIN_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-c.html#j-m-cain)  Magician's Wife (1966) xix. 147,
I want our marriage to be strictly on the I wathe way it is in the books,
absolutely according to Hoyle. 1971  Melody Maker 21 Aug. 34/7 If  everything
goes according to  Hoyle, I'll go into semi-retirement there.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/perseverance_and_sweet_oil/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/perseverance_and_sweet_oil/)

“Perseverance and sweet oil”

"Perseverance and sweet oil” seems like a Texas way of doing things, but this
 phrase dates from at least the mid-19th century.

_Google  Books_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=OCLC15605666&id=KLeQ72zoGWcC&pg=RA10-PA182&lpg=RA10-PA182&dq="perseverance+and+sweet"&ie=ISO-8859-1)
History of the Express Business
by Alexander Lovett  Stimson
New York: Baker & Godwin
1881
Pg. 182:
“But  patience, perseverance and sweet oil,
Make all things work agreeably to  Hoyle.”

_Making  of America_
(http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&coll=moa&view=50&root=/moa/putn/putn0003/&tif=00308.TIF&cite=http://cdl
.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/moa-cgi?notisid=ABK9283-0003-5)
March 1854, Putnam’s Monthly Magazine, pg. 302:
...nevertheless, “patience, perseverance, and sweet oil” will, in time, cure
 this and all other absurdities and evils in Missouri, or under the sun.

29 April 1859, Daily Columbus Enquirer (Columbus, GA), pg. 3:
A little time and lubrication—perseverance and sweet oil, will overcome all
the difficulty.
[Lou. Jour.

7 December 1952, Dallas  Morning News, part 1, pg. 23:
For many months, perseverance and sweet  oil, to use an old Texas phrase,
have been used with manufacturers of tubular  goods.

http://www.aol.com.