the n word: on its way out?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 9 00:23:25 UTC 2007

Heh heh. I kin remember waaaaay back awhen all decent folk said "Negro" and only them that was spoilin' fer a fight said "black."  Yes sirree Robert !  Or have I told that story before ?

Yep. And in my neck of the backwoods, Manhattan USA, the only pronunciation I was ever conscious of was / n i g r o /.  We wouldn't let no hypercorrectin' son of a gun *on* our island.

  Less'n he had plenty o' cash.

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: the n word: on its way out?

Oh, I see now! Does that "vigour/niger/rigour/tiger" sequence of rhymes in the Burns poem represent Scottish-dialect pronunciations? /I/ or /aI/ (or something else)? That is, assuming that all four words are supposed to rhyme (according to the scheme of the rest of the poem), rather than just "vigour/rigour" and "niger/tiger."

As for the phonology of "negro" > "nigra": I've always suspected that the pronunciation of "negro" with an emphatic /i/ was a hyper-correct attempt to differentiate the speaker's utterance from "nigger," but I have no real basis for that supposition. For the /I/ manifested orthographically as "e" before /g/, we may compare "renege." The terminal /o/ to a schwa (or whatever) is something Southerners, of course, quite regularly do with "o"-final words.

--Charlie