"Poor, hungry and driven" (Ph.D.) (1997, by Rick Pitino?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 16 04:00:48 UTC 2007

New Mexico State coach and former NBA star Reggie Theus was asked how his
club is going to beat Texas and star Kevin Durant tomorrow in March Madness.
"Our players are Ph.D's," said Theus. "Poor, hungry and driven."
Was this coined by basketball coach Rick Pitino, around 1997? Will it be in
the next HDAS?
_http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06184/703058-63.stm_
(http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06184/703058-63.stm)

Monday, July 03, 2006By Paul Meyer, Pittsburgh  Post-Gazette
(...)

Q. You told me last fall about some  "PHD" incentive thing from Rick Pitino.
Refresh my memory.
Varsho: Poor,  Hungry and Driven. It was in a book by Rick Pitino. In the
book, Pitino told  of a CEO in some company who took him up to the executive
level and showed him a  bunch of workers in cubicles. He said to Rick Pitino, "Do
you see all these  workers? They all have PHDs." And Pitino says, "Well, how
can you afford all  those salaries?" And the guy says, "Oh, no, no, no. They
don't have the degree.  They're all poor, hungry and  driven to get the hell out
of here so they can become something, so they're  working [really hard].
Poor,  hungry and driven is what we're trying to find in today's player. Guys who
are poor, hungry and  driven to excel -- maybe to win a World Series.
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
_US-CA-San Jose-MGR-C/C++ Unix-Recruiter  [mrila.040]_
(http://groups.google.com/group/us.jobs.offered/browse_thread/thread/e6852c09560bc28d/d9c01d9bfb2ce5d
9?lnk=st&q="poor,+hungry+and+driven"&rnum=6&hl=en#d9c01d9bfb2ce5d9)
Group: _us.jobs.offered_
(http://groups.google.com/group/us.jobs.offered?lnk=sg&hl=en)      ... C/C++, UNIX - 3+ years demonstrated experience managing  'full
life-cycle' software
development - Successful deliverables of  several products (>$4MM) to market
- Energetic,
team player, and a  Ph.D. attitude (Poor, Hungry and Driven) -  BS/MS ...
Oct 12 1997 by  Management Recruiters of LA
_Dec 2 press release: Eric Mangini_
(http://groups.google.com/group/alt.architecture/browse_thread/thread/d9229c8ef0fda52/364ad5933ab72d2e?lnk=st&q="poor,+h
ungry+and+driven"&rnum=2&hl=en#364ad5933ab72d2e)       Group:
_alt.architecture_ (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.architecture?lnk=sg&hl=en)
... On the practice squad players motivating the 53-man  roster. I think any
time
you have "PHD"s (poor, hungry, driven) around,  it's motivating. When you're
poor,
hungry and  driven, you've got a high level of motivation. ...
Dec 2 2006 by Pierre Levesque, AIA - 6 messages - 3  authors
22 June 1997, Sunday Capital (Annapolis, MD), pg.  C8:
Pitino's philosophy on the draft, "Sometimes the  worst-case scenario can
turn out for the best if you get two players with  PhD's--poor, hungry and
driven."