Put lipstick on a pig (again) and cherry up

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Mon Mar 19 22:03:42 UTC 2007

Don't tell me the Columbia is an isogloss! But that stuff in the pix
warn't no bark dust!!!

>>> gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM 3/19/2007 2:55 PM >>>
Being a Washingtonian, I'm surprised to hear that. I've known the word
"beauty bark" since I was a young child, probably 35 years ago. I've
always assumed it to be a product name, but it seems pretty generic
from
Googits.

Your description of bark dust is identical to what I think of as
beauty
bark. BB

FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:
-----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>
> Subject:      Re: Put lipstick on a pig (again) and cherry up

> That stuff in the picture looks like 'bark chips' to me.  I had
thought
> that maybe I would see 'barkdust', but that stuff surely wasn't
> barkdust.  I guess the real questions are where is 'beauty bark'
used?
> Is it a regionalism?  How long has it been around?  Is this some
> industry word (that will some day push out bark dust)?  Most
interested
> to read what others have to say.
> I should add an explanation, based on my experience of moving from
> Oregon to Minnesota. We never met any native Minnesotan who knew the
> term bark dust.  Bark dust is somewhat finely ground bark (usually a
> reddish-brown color), that nearly everyone in the Pacific Northwest
> spreads on his flower beds for looks and to keep the weeds in check.
My