Let George Do It

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 22 03:33:53 UTC 2007

I, too, remember this phrase as part of some campaign or other, back
in the 'Forties. It seems to me that it was some kind of put-down:
"Don't bother me about it! Let George do it!" But I wouldn't bet on
it. Unfortunately, for our purposes, it was something that I was too
young to have any real interest in, at the time. Google cites "Let
George Do It" primarily as the name of an old radiio show dating to
1940. However, it also provides this quote from another source than
the radio show:

"Fluoridation came about because most of us were content to '_let
George do it_' ...

-Wilson

On 3/21/07, sagehen <sagehen at westelcom.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       sagehen <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM>
> Subject:      Let George Do It
>
> Seen in war protest demos:
> "Die for Oil?........Let George Do It!"
> "Let George do it" is very familiar, but where does it come from?  Funny
> papers?  Radio comedy?  Was it part of some  campaign exhorting people to
> do something socially responsible in WWII?
> AM

-----
                                                      -Sam'l Clemens

Dope wil get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no dope.
-----
                                         -Free-Wheeling Franklin