hung (a.) 1781; antedates HDAS 1855- for earliest American

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Mar 25 19:33:57 UTC 2007

hung (a)
interdates OED2 1685 - 1785 (Grose); antedates HDAS earliest American
1855- (Whitman)

In Winthrop D. Jordan, White Over Black (Univ. of N. Carolina Press,
1968), p. 159.

Military Journal of Lt. William Feltman, May 26, 1781 to Apr. 25,
1782. Hist. Soc. Pa.
Deleted from published version, Hist. Soc. Pa., Collections, 1 (1853).

1781 22 June
I am surprized this does not hurt the feelings of this fair Sex to
see these young boys of about Fourteen and Fifteen years Old to
Attend them, these whole nakedness Expos'd and I can Assure you It
would Surprize a person to see these d---d black boys how well they are hung.

[Being submitted via RQS]