Expressions that mean duh

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Mar 27 12:41:30 UTC 2007

What language scholars sometimes call "pope questions" paremiologists and other folklorists (unbeknownst to the language scholars) have been calling "sarcastic interrogatives" since the 1970s. (Incidentally, in an article forthcoming in _Western Folklore_ I discuss the genre at tedious length.)

However, "duh" retorts are a little different.  For one thing, what triggers them is not necessarily a question. ("The sun rises in the east."/"Duh!"). In fact, I'd say that "Duh!" most often responds to an ASSERTION of something that's obvious. In those cases, Jim Parish's "Ya think?" and William Salmon's "No shit, Sherlock!" would serve well. But I don't know a term for the larger category.

--Charlie